As a teenager growing up in Kansas, Becca Pendarvis spent her summers doing everything she could to get as tan as possible. Now a mother of a sixteen year-old daughter, she has spent the last seven years dealing with Stage 4 Melanoma skin cancer.
During our conversation we discussed:
- Why she loves living in New York City and how living there helped her cope with her cancer.
- The common misconceptions about Skin Cancer.
- How to use A-B-C-D-E to identify possible skin cancers.
- The fact that she’s now N.E.D. (No Evidence of Disease) after initially being told she had 9 – 18 months to live.
- The impact her illness had on her daughter.
- Camp Kesem – a nationwide community that supports the children of parents affected by cancer – and how it helped her daughter.
- Her thoughts on tanning and tanning beds.
Links Mentioned In the Show
Camp Kesem – https://campkesem.org/
Know the ABCDEs of Skin Cancer – https://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/melanoma/melanoma-warning-signs-and-images/do-you-know-your-abcdes
Follow Becca on Instagram – https://instagram.com/beccalovesbrooklyn
Follow Becca on Twitter – https://twitter.com/beccapendarvis