I had the pleasure of meeting Noel Peters in July of 2018 when I was invited to speak at the company where she works, Foundation Medicine. We quickly bonded after learning we were both Stage IV cancer patients.
During our conversation we discussed:
- What it’s like living with cancer
- Her experience of learning about her diagnosis and how she shared her cancer diagnosis with her children
- The uncertainty around her being staged with Advanced Breast Cancer
- What it’s like being a cancer scientist and a cancer patient at the same time and how this experience has impacted her approach to her job
- The definition and importance of palliative care and how it shouldn’t in any way be confused with hospice care
- The impact her diagnosis had on her marriage and her family
- Her thoughts on the annual “pink-washing” of America every October during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.