Doug Dahlmann leads a very active life despite his ostomy. That wasn’t always the case; however. When he awoke from his surgery for stage 3 colorectal cancer in 2010 he was devastated to learn he was left with a permanent ostomy. He was “filled with anxiety, depression and uncertainty.”
Adjusting to life as an ostomate took time, but within a few months he achieved his goal of completing a 100-mile century bike ride.
During our interview we covered:
- Why he wanted to take on the physical challenge of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail and the unique challenges doing so with an ostomy.
- The emotional challenge of accepting his ostomy and how he moved from “denial” to embracing his new life.
- Navigating the social and dating scene with an ostomy.
- Why he decided to compete in a body-building competition.
- What’s next for him on his list of adventures.
Connect with Doug
His story featured on the Colon Cancer Coalition website: https://coloncancercoalition.org/2018/10/06/an-ostomy-life-unlimited/
On Instagram – https://instagram.com/pacnwtrekker
On Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/doug.dallmann